University of Evansville history professor's cartoon response to Paris shootings read around the worldHistorians in the News
tags: Paris, Charlie Hebdo, political cartoonist
University of Evansville history professor and part-time political cartoonist James MacLeod's response to Wednesday's mass shooting at a Paris magazine over its editorial cartoons was to immediately pick up pen and paper.
Picked up by the news website Vox, MacLeod's cartoon was soon featured among the cream of the crop of editorial cartoonists' responses published around the globe online and in print.
"I had that up probably in about an hour. I wish I would have had more time but it certainly was from the heart," he said.
The Scottish-born MacLeod said he has been drawing cartoons for about 30 years and has been publishing them professionally for about the last 8 years in Indiana -- many in the Courier & Press.
MacLeod said his cartoon was featured online for the entire day on the CNN homepage, and on Yahoo, CNN Europe, NBC, MSNBC, ITV, National Public Radio, Time, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Chronicle, Huffington Post, Times of Israel and Toronto Star, as well as numerous other outlets subscribing to the Scripps and Associated Press news wires. It was also broadcast on MSNBC, NBC's Today Show, NBC Evening News and the Al-Jazeera broadcast news network, as well as the website for the U.S. State Department....
comments powered by Disqus
- Archivists Are Mining Parler Metadata to Pinpoint Crimes at the Capitol
- ‘World’s Greatest Athlete’ Jim Thorpe Was Wronged by Bigotry. The IOC Must Correct the Record
- Black Southerners are Wielding Political Power that was Denied their Parents and Grandparents
- Israeli Rights Group: Nation Isn't a Democracy but an "Apartheid Regime"
- Capitol Riot: The 48 Hours that Echoed Generations of Southern Conflict
- Resolution of the Conference on Faith and History: Executive Board Response to the Assault on the U.S. Capitol
- By the People, for the People, but Not Necessarily Open to the People
- Wealthy Bankers And Businessmen Plotted To Overthrow FDR. A Retired General Foiled It
- Ole Miss Doubles Down on Professor's Termination
- How Fear Took Over the American Suburbs