Black Lives Matter coalition demands reparationsBreaking News
tags: Black lives matter
More than 60 organizations associated with the Black Lives Matter movement have released a series of demands on Monday, including for reparations.
The list of six platform demands is aimed at furthering their goals as the presidential campaign heads into the homestretch.
The release of the six demands comes a few days before the second anniversary of the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., which set off months of protests and led to a national conversation about police killings of blacks.
As part of the effort, the groups are demanding, among other things, reparations for what they say are past and continuing harms to African-Americans, an end to the death penalty, legislation to acknowledge the effects of slavery, as well as investments in education initiatives, mental health services and jobs programs.
comments powered by Disqus
- Did we mishear Neil Armstrong’s famous first words on the Moon?
- Why the United States is not a true democracy
- Explaining Putin’s World: A Conversation with Angela Stent
- Why Civil Rights Activists Protested the Moon Landing
- Behind Trump’s ‘go back’ demand: A long history of rejecting ‘different’ Americans
- Professor Rebecca Gordon Pens Essay Revealing Her Abortion and Examines Ongoing History of Roe v. Wade
- Podcast Discusses History of the CIA
- Watching 'Chernobyl': How Important Are Visuals for Understanding History?
- The Surprising Things Arctic Ice Can Tell Us About Human History
- 'History on a stick’ signs disappearing too fast to keep up