Free speech to be front and center at Gettysburg battle anniversaryBreaking News
tags: Gettysburg, free speech, Gettysburg National Military Park
The Gettysburg National Military Park has issued three special use permits for first amendment activities on July 1, according to a Thursday news release.
“As custodians of land owned by the American people, the National Park Service has a responsibility to make that land available for exercising those rights,” Bill Justice, acting park superintendent, said in the release. ...
The Sons of Confederate Veterans Mechanized Cavalry and Real 3% Risen will gather north of Meade's Headquarters near 160 Taneytown Road from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The park expects 250 to 500 participants with the Sons of Confederate Veterans and 500 to 1,500 participants with Real 3% Risen, a Facebook group dedicated to protecting American freedoms.
Ski Bischof, of Allentown, helped organize the events with a Facebook event called "Support America and Her History." Together, they are joining up with the other groups to form a united front against a group that might be there to protest against President Trump and/or the Confederate flag, according to the Facebook event page.
A third group, Maryland Sons of Confederate Veterans, consisting of about 20 people, is planning to march in formation from the North Carolina Memorial to the Virginia Memorial, with small ceremonies along the way, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The events came about, in part, because of unsubstantiated reports of an activist group coming to the battlefield on July 1. The allegations of this group's intended activities have spread on social media the past couple weeks, infuriating many.
Facebook event pages, like Bischof's, began to pop up as counter rallies.
"You don't have to be a Trump Supporter to be an American Patriot!," the Support America and Her History Rally page reads. "Well enough is enough. Show up, Stand Up, in your support for AMERICA!"
Other event titles from Facebook users included "Free Speech Rally" and "STOP THE ANTI AMERICAN PROTEST IN GETTYSBURG."
comments powered by Disqus
- We Insist: A Century Of Black Music Against State Violence
- The Scars of Being Policed While Black (video)
- Book Reconsideration: “A Confederacy of Dunces” — Still an American Comic Masterpiece?
- Mississippi Governor Signs Law Removing Confederate Design From State Flag
- Trump Doubles Down on 'Heritage' Defense of Confederate Statues
- Living in History: Richard Haass, Margaret MacMillan, and Annette Gordon-Reed
- Beyond ‘White Fragility’: If you Want to Let Freedom Ring, Hammer on Economic Injustice.
- The Best Histories of U.S. Policing, According to Experts
- How Mount Rushmore Became Mount Rushmore
- Princeton University Removes Woodrow Wilson From School Name (Audio)