Historian's new TV series tears apart America's revered founding mythsHistorians in the News
tags: American History, television, Lucy Worsley
“History,” said Winston Churchill, “is written by the victors.” The trouble is, victors have a tendency to embellish, exaggerate, distort and, if all else fails, make things up.
There are lots of distortions — and one glaring example of complete fiction being accepted as hard fact — in Lucy Worsley’s engaging new three-part series American History’s Biggest Fibs, which entertainingly pulls asunder the beliefs many Americans fondly hold about their history.
It’s a timely series, arriving as it does halfway through the term of a US president, who lies more often than he draws breath.
In tonight’s first episode, Worsley aims her myth-shattering musket at the American Revolution, which has been distilled over the centuries into “a David and Goliath story” full of “high ideals and heroism”.
David is plucky America, rising up in revolt against the tyrannical colonial Goliath of Britain. “How much of the founding story is actually founded on fact?” asks Worsley.
Put it this way: the accepted account of the country’s successful fight for independence — swallowed unquestioningly by generations of Americans and celebrated every 4th of July — isn’t so much a tissue of lies, as a thick, woolly comfort blanket embroidered with the stars and stripes.
comments powered by Disqus
- How the Little Ice Age Changed History
- Trump Administration to Turn Over Trove of Declassified Records to Argentina on Human Rights Violations Committed During Military Dictatorship
- To Understand The History Of Elite College Admissions, Just Follow The Money
- A Brief History of the Golan Heights, Claimed by Israel and Syria
- The warped history that fuels right-wing terrorism
- Justin Rose's New Book explores how Martin Luther King Jr. transformed the Christian notion of service into a politically salient concept
- Margaret MacMillan, History Professor Emeritus at Oxford University, Gives Warnings from history for Brexit Britain
- The Historian Who Thinks Donald Trump Is a Movie Hero
- In Memoriam: Joe Miller, Ground-Breaking Historian
- The Women Highlighting Women's History in Feminist Travel Guides