No, Fox’s Katie Pavlich, the US Wasn’t the First to Abolish SlaveryBreaking News
tags: slavery, abolition, Fox News, Juan Cole
Juan Cole is the founder and chief editor of Informed Comment and Richard P. Mitchell Professor of History at the University of Michigan. He is author of, among many other books, Muhammad: Prophet of Peace amid the Clash of Empires. Follow him at @jricole.
Fox Cable News’ Katie Pavlich asserted Tuesday, “They keep blaming America for slavery, but the truth is that throughout human history slavery has existed. America came along as the first country to end it within 150 years. And we get no credit for that.”
There are so many things wrong with this assertion that you barely know where to start. We probably need another 220 years of American history just to disabuse the US population of all the lies they’ve been spoonfed by Rupert Murdoch and his minions since the 1990s.
Slavery began in British North America in the 1600s. So it took longer than 150 years to abolish it. More like 200 years.
Second, the US was not the first country by any means to abolish slavery. In fact it was very late to do so. Even Tunisia abolished slavery before the United States.
comments powered by Disqus
- How the US stole thousands of Native American children
- A history of selling out the Kurds, people with 'no friends but the mountains'
- 9 Landmark Supreme Court Cases That Shaped LGBTQ Rights in America
- A newspaper accused the president’s family of profiting from a foreign deal. The president sued.
- Here are the indigenous people Christopher Columbus and his men could not annihilate
- Serhii Plokhii on Ukraine’s Political Frontiers
- ‘Return to the Reich’ Review: Refugee Redux
- Black Perspectives Announces Online Forum Honoring the Life and Work of Dr. Rosalyn Terborg-Penn
- It was the nation’s largest auction of enslaved people. Now, a search for descendants of the ‘weeping time.’
- Historians Jon Meacham, Mark Summers, Keri Leigh Merritt, Michael Ross, Brenda Wineapple, and Benjamin Railton Featured in Article on Andrew Johnson and Impeachment