by Teresa Meade
His career stretches back through some of the most sordid instances of US intervention and brutality.
SOURCE: CBS News
"We are not focused on the events of the 1980s. We are focused on the events of 2019."
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
And what it means for George H.W. Bush's legacy.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The presidency survived the Watergate, Iran-contra and Clinton scandals. Trump will exact a higher toll.
by Carlos Lozada
Histories of past presidential scandals reveal common threads and turning points -- but also show how Trump stands alone.
by Donne Levy
This is the first presidential scandal involving a foreign government interfering with our election process and possible collusion by the man who won the election.
The idea that at some point party loyalty goes out the window and politicians become nonpartisan statesmen doesn’t hold up historically.
SOURCE: The Nation
by Greg Grandin
On the 30th anniversary, we can see that it was an ideological project, with the New Right reasserting the righteousness of militarism and markets.
- Abraham Lincoln, Joe Biden and the politics of touch
- Why Good Friday was dangerous for Jews in the Middle Ages and how that changed
- The first African American major league baseball player isn’t who you think
- The story behind the towering Notre Dame spire and the 30-year-old architect commissioned to rebuild it
- A history of great cathedrals that have been lost to fire and war
- Livestream event: The Greater Reconstruction: American Democracy after the Civil War
- The Fate of the "AHA Interview"
- Gale Kenny on the Womens March, Church Ladies, and Grassroots Political Religion
- Russel Muirhead and Nancy L. Rosenblum's New Book Shows Even Conspiracy Theories Have Gotten Dumber
- ‘Don’t they know Columbus never landed in America?’: Third-graders found error in their workbook. Here’s what they did about it.