SOURCE: The Atlantic
The government’s reaction to COVID-19 in jails and ICE detention facilities must follow settled legal precedent on acceptable conditions of confinement. The pandemic does not change that obligation.
SOURCE: Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
NARA approved ICE’s request to begin destroying the records in December 2019, despite ongoing concerns and reports of widespread mistreatment of individuals detained in ICE custody.
SOURCE: Toward Freedom
by Margaret Power and Alexander Aviña
On January 5, 2020, the Business Meeting of the American Historical Association passed a resolution condemning affiliations between ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and higher education.
SOURCE: NY Times
by Matthew Connelly
The National Archives is letting millions of documents, including many related to immigrants’ rights, be destroyed or deleted.
by HNN Staff
Families are separated at the border and people are indefinitely detained in overcrowded facilties. How a panel at this year's AHA conference examined the history of immigration.
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
Historians approve an anti-ICE resolution but vote down anti-Israel proposals at their annual meeting. They also show support for nontenured colleagues.
SOURCE: Chicago Tribune
by Kate Masur
Almost 170 years later, the Fugitive Slave Act is viewed as one of the most repressive federal laws in all of American history.
by Elliott Young
Abolishing ICE is like a demand to abolish fugitive slave catching. It’s a good move, but it’s not the same as abolishing slavery.
by Julian Zelizer
While focusing on ICE is an extremely important debate, and dismantling the agency might the be the best policy decision, it carries enormous short-term political risks for the Democrats going into the midterm elections.
by David B. Gowler
The policy of separating children from their parents is horrific.
- Santae Tribble, Whose Wrongful Conviction Revealed FBI Forensic Hair Match Flaws, Dies at 59
- Crowd Rallies to Keep Confederate Memorial in Downtown St. Augustine
- As Divisions Threaten America, The Pressure To Cancel Presidents Is Dangerous
- Trump is Going All In on Divisive Culture Wars. That Might not Work this Time.
- Redskins, Indians and the Long Push to Drop Native American Mascots
- The Politics of Race are Shifting, and Politicians are Struggling to Keep Pace
- Trump’s Push to Amplify Racism Unnerves Republicans who have Long Enabled Him
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing