SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Adam Serwer
"I want to be very clear about what the country saw last night, as an American president incited a chant of “Send her back!” aimed at a Somali-born member of Congress: America has not been here before."
SOURCE: NY Times
by Jamelle Bouie
His racist idea of citizenship is an old one, brought back from the margins of American politics.
SOURCE: New York Review of Books
by Omer Bartov, Doris Bergen, Andrea Orzoff, Timothy Snyder, and Anika Walke, et al.
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum released a statement on June 24 condemning the use of Holocaust analogies.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said the U.S. is running concentration camps. Historians are divided on her statement.
The historical origins of the term and how some historians interpreted her statement.
by Ralph Seliger
How the Japanese-American organizers of a museum exhibit at Ellis Island entitled “America’s Concentration Camps: Remembering the Japanese American Experience” came to an amicable agreement with the American Jewish Committee (AJC).
by Daniel B. Schwartz
We can and should learn from the Holocaust to fight against racism and dehumanization, mindful of what they can lead to, but we should avoid comparisons that collapse the distance between the Holocaust and current events and result in the trivialization of the former.
SOURCE: Latino Rebels
by Eladio Bobadilla
We should call Trump’s detentions centers what they are: concentration camps.
by Michael Sheng
"For the sake of history, please tell your voters what you really believe, and don’t just throw out a label without a precise definition."
SOURCE: New York Magazine
We asked three experts a simple question: Who does Ocasio-Cortez remind you of most strongly in American political history?
- How the US stole thousands of Native American children
- A history of selling out the Kurds, people with 'no friends but the mountains'
- 9 Landmark Supreme Court Cases That Shaped LGBTQ Rights in America
- A newspaper accused the president’s family of profiting from a foreign deal. The president sued.
- Here are the indigenous people Christopher Columbus and his men could not annihilate
- Serhii Plokhii on Ukraine’s Political Frontiers
- ‘Return to the Reich’ Review: Refugee Redux
- Black Perspectives Announces Online Forum Honoring the Life and Work of Dr. Rosalyn Terborg-Penn
- It was the nation’s largest auction of enslaved people. Now, a search for descendants of the ‘weeping time.’
- Historians Jon Meacham, Mark Summers, Keri Leigh Merritt, Michael Ross, Brenda Wineapple, and Benjamin Railton Featured in Article on Andrew Johnson and Impeachment