SOURCE: Nordics Info
by Thorsten Borring Olesen
Greenland has been and continues to be a vital strategic asset, not least to the US - and perhaps even more so due to the possible effects of climate change.
SOURCE: NY Times
Greenland officials have rebuffed President Trump’s plan to buy the island, but the United States has a history of purchasing lands from other countries.
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun
by Jonathan Zimmerman
An imagined week in the real estate scheming of our tweeter in chief.
SOURCE: The Conversation
Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
by William L. Iggiagruk Hensley
With a stroke of a pen, Tsar Alexander II ceded Alaska, his country’s last remaining foothold in North America, to the United States for US$7.2 million.
SOURCE: Scientific American
Climate change is already rotting archaeological sites in the Arctic, and Norse Viking-era settlements are at high risk
SOURCE: The Conversation
Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, and the Danes were not pleased.
New archaeological research hints at a new reason for Vikings’ Greenland occupation.
SOURCE: BBC News
New data from Greenland ice cores suggest North America may have suffered a large cosmic impact about 12,900 years ago.A layer of platinum is seen in ice of the same age as a known abrupt climate transition, US scientists report.The climate flip has previously been linked to the demise of the North American "Clovis" people.The data seem to back the idea that an impact tipped the climate into a colder phase, a point of current debate.Rapid climate change occurred 12,900 years ago, and it is proposed that this is associated with the extinction of large mammals - such as the mammoth, widespread wildfires and rapid changes in atmospheric and ocean circulation....
SOURCE: World Archaeology
The mystery of what happened to Greenland’s Norse population is one step closer to being solved, as new evidence suggests that the colony did not die out because its inhabitants were unable to adapt to their new environment.
- Chris Hayes on How Police Treat Black Americans like Colonial Subjects
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea